Cost of a citizenship?

What, to the best of your ability to express it in currency here, is the typical cost of a citizenship share? E.g. if the Empire made contact tomorrow, what sort of people would citizenship be immediately affordable for? (Or would finding anything the Empire would value enough to enable trade be the bigger problem?)

I think the author has dodged this particular question before: Questions and Answer Time Again | The Associated Worlds

So, er, (noncanoically) somewhere in the range of half to one million USD equivalent in useful things, it looks like.

I’m pretty sure exchanging for Esteyn is going to be the major hurdle, given the wild market fluctuations first contact with technologically advanced extraterrestrials is going to cause.

It’s quite possible that those hypothetical first human citizens are going to be mostly research-related people who could leverage the value of patents and media-related people who could leverage the value of copyrights.

It’s quite possible that those hypothetical first human citizens are going to be mostly research-related people who could leverage the value of patents and media-related people who could leverage the value of copyrights.

I’m not sure to what extent this would actually work inasmuch as the patents, and more so the copyrights, are mostly being held by megacorps in the first place, and I suspect that even the eldrae would probably admit that the likes of Jeff Bezos or Robert Iger (to say nothing of Elon Musk) are probably going to be pretty poor citizens. OTOH the “pretty poor” could in practice come out to “they get the citizenship and then get gleefully sued into the ground shortly afterwards”.
I imagine perhaps there might be a few non-directly-megacorp media figures who had held on to enough of their copyrights to be worth bothering with. Unfortunately the first candidate in this category who comes to mind is J.K.Rowling and
 well see above under “pretty poor citizens”.

A lot depends on how much of existing property distribution inequality survives first contact. If the answer is “it’s just left standing, any further contracts pile up on top” you might see the professional landlords (and large-property-owners in general) come in even before the media figures, though they’d also be even more prone to the sued-into-the-ground thing.
It might take many years before prosperity trickles down enough to enable the citizenship of (some) non-assholes [maybe with the occasional really rare earlier example of someone who inherited millions from their rich parents but accidentally happens to be many standard deviations nicer than the average from that category], and even then charity sponsorship cases (of the “this one exceptional person clearly deserves this but the hurdle is too high for them to plausibly get there anytime soon” variety) might still be more common.

(I don’t actually recall offhand - what is the eldrae/Imperial position on charity? It feels like to a large extent it’s “that’s silly, if the recipients were meritorious enough they’d have gotten rich themselves and if they aren’t you shouldn’t be rewarding them” - possibly with some edge cases such as immortagens and maybe the occasional obviously unrelated accident [and I imagine much of the latter would be handled by insurance, but there could plausibly be some weird coincidences that insurance just so happened to not cover] - but I could easily be misunderstanding the whole thing.)

They do do something like charity, but they expect something out of you for the donation they have given.

Oh. I’ve missed that part, then. (I actually recall reading it at some reasonably-recent point but must have forgotten.)

I guess this means the really blatantly meritorious cases (and/or the most blatantly poverty-trap ones, and/or the ones that look most like the local governments are actively conspiring against them) would get offers to the effect of “OK, you’re clearly not getting that far out on your own before you accidentally starve or something and even if it’s not that bad we don’t want to just wait until you get there by sheer luck alone, so we’ll try to get you some money under a nice short, oh let’s say 144-year loan, and hopefully you repay that there’d be serious trouble for you if you don’t”. Maybe some of the less clear cases get similar offers but with slightly harsher terms.

there might also be quite a few other lolrandom (by Earth standards) projects getting sponsorship offers with similar loan setups, but that’s more of a Post-Contact Hilarity matter.

Let me take a moment up front to expound briefly on immigration considerations in general, because long before you get to the question of who can afford a citizen-shareholdership, you start dramatically reducing the set with the question of who is permitted to purchase one in the first place.

The Empire, after all, simultaneously runs the most permissive and the most restrictive immigration policy in the Associated Worlds. There are, for example, no restrictions on personal versus business travel, and no restrictions on length of stay (and thus no special status for permanent residents). There are no work permits. There are no limits on owning property. There are no visasÂč. You just turn up, and if they admit you, you can stay as long as you like.

If they admit you.

The Empire is a mite particular about who it wants hanging around, and while some countries on Earth at least pretend to exercise some discretion with regard to citizenshipÂČ, the Empire both takes those things a lot more seriously, and applies them to all admissions.

To summarize: you can and will be refused entry by the Imperial Guard of Borders and Volumes for any of:

• posing a security threat (including citizenship of a threat nation or membership in a proscribed organization);
  • being a public health risk (including insanity, and that’s by their standards, not yours or your country’s);
  • being a felon or habitual misdemeanant (and again, that’s by their standards, nor yours or your country’s);
  • being obviously indigent;
  • lying to your inplacement officer, or having been previously deported;
  • or failing to sign and seal in good faith and under an alethiometer your acceptance of form I-180.

That last, of course, is the big one.

You can find the text of the major affirmation (that you agree with and are attached to the principles of the Fundamental Contract) over here, and that also notes that the full form includes your agreement to respect the law and pay the ESF on earned income during your stay.

I leave it as an exercise to the reader to contemplate the percentage of potential applicants from Earth likely to be culled by this clause, but I note that this is where a lot of what section three of the Charter labels as “widely-accepted dyspraxic defect, philosophical incompatibility, or other unassimilability” comes in. (And that while they have received over history more than a few diplomatic complaints about large sections of other countries’ populations being rejected as lunatics, polits³, bad religionists, shopping-cart-non-returners, litterati, people who talk at the theater, etal., said complaints are generally taken as evidence that the policy in question is all of good, right, and necessary to preserve social trust, harmony, and civilized standards in general.)

Having said all that, yes, they’re expensive⁔. As I said back here, the market price of a citizen-share is determined by the ability of the capital & obligations⁶ attached to that share to balance the Dividend and provisions likewise. That ain’t cheap; it’s basically saving/investing enough money to live off without depleting your capital.

(I believe JHPrime’s figure is based on an old comment of mine reading:

To come up with a decent comparison – and I reserve the right to change this if I think I was wrong – it’s probably something of the order of buying a nice house in a good neighborhood, in some suitably average city here.

I’ll stand by that until I have a better way to compare the really hard to compare. Call it $750k in hard currency.)

On one hand, it’s inevitably going to be expensive. It has so many features that regular citizenships don’t (remember, if you get something for free, you’re the product), starting with actual clearly defined contractual limits, and extending on through such things as a perpetual revenue stream that will more than repay its value over time, complimentary full-coverage crime insurance, all the Barbarian Repellentℱ you could ever need, and so on and so forth.

On the other hand, it’s good that it’s expensive. It is, after all, the Worlds’ leading premium citizenship brand. When people get something for free, they don’t value it, and/or start feeling entitled to it as a gift from the magic entitlement-satisfaction fairies. The high asset value of a citizen-shareholdership is a reminder to everyone that Civilization Is Not Free.

On the gripping hand, as I also mention in the referenced post, it’s not impossibly expensive for most people. For one thing, it comes with an income stream, which you can use to at least partially cover a loan to get it⁷. There are also entire organizations which exist to sponsor/invest in new immigrants, for a fairly wide variety of reasons.

(When I used the example of the girl turning up at inplacement with nothing but her abuela’s book of family recipes, a dream of opening a restaurant, and a helping of determination - well, I wasn’t kidding, folks. The Empire loves people like her. Finding sponsorship and investment for her restaurant will be downright easy.)

((Incidentally, for Post-Contact Hilarity purposes, some people are going to be mightily offended that – well, let’s just say that down on the US’s southern border, we have would-be immigrants willing to undergo many privations and then work miserable jobs in shitty conditions to get a better life for themselves and their families. It should not surprise anyone, but inevitably will, that said sponsorship organizations will find it a much better deal to invest in putting Esteban, there, through Space Engineer School than in the inplacement of one of America’s finest college-educated commies with a major in political whining.))

Plus, of course, the reason I talked about the admission requirements so extensively up there (and, indeed, there rather than naturalization is where most of the barriers are) is because you don’t have to get the citizen-shareholdership first. You can come and stay and work and earn money as a non-citizen resident, and as such can earn the price of your citizen-share in a real economy, not some half-crippled emerging market. That goes much quicker.

(The Imperials like this option, because this helps select for people likely to prosper in their society. It also solves, to a large extent, the problem of getting your hands on hard currency. The exchange rate vs. the gAu sucks.

I feel like I’ve commented elsewhere on things that tend to have value in first-contact scenarios, so I’ll dig that up and get back to it.)

Anyway, this post is long enough on its own, so close for now and continue on specific points later.

Footnotes:

1. Well, technically, there are four visas. Two of those don’t change anything in the inplacement process: one, the I-series, simply notes that you chose to clear inplacement at the consulate at your point of departure, rather than at your port of entry, and the other, the N-series, is used by people who live next door to an exclave and cross the border every day, and so don’t need to repeat the whole process every day. The other two which do bypass the normal inplacement process are the D-series (which also serve as proof of diplomatic immunity), issued to accredited diplomatic personnel on the grounds that there are some nasty little fascists you occasionally have to talk to; and the V-series, which require that a citizen-shareholder in good standing has taken full personal responsibility for everything you do in the Empire, on pain and penalty of sharing all your pains and penalties - including loss of citizen-shareholdership if you get yourself deported. Either is about as rare as a snowball in a supernova, and as such are irrelevant here.

2. The US, for example, requires in theory for naturalization “good moral character” and “attachment to the Constitution”.

3. If you have strong views on things the government should be forcing people to do or on how other people’s property ought to be allocated, the alethiometer will pick up that you are blatantly lying about your attachment to certain principles in re liberty and property, and leave you to hold a bitchfest in the extrality area with the rest of the slavers. Also, by their standards, this requires obligation. Strategic defaulters and adulterers beware, you’ve basically made a public declaration that your word is no good. Like I said: painfully high standards.

4. To pick the obvious example, there are those certain religions with, 'hem, ideas about the proper place of women in society, which tend to attract the response that they and the god that produced them can both fuck off back to the shithole rapetopia that they crawled out of. Yes, they will judge you for your beliefs. What the hell else are they going to judge you on?

5. Of course, unlike the fees most countries charge for naturalization, when you die - or renounce your citizenship, although not when you are stripped of it - the citizen-share returns to the Empire and its value is paid out to your estate. An Imperial citizen-shareholdership is an investment, and not one purely expressed through the Dividend.

6. And while the Empire has high expectations of its citizen-shareholders, it also has high expectations of itself where its responsibilities to its citizen-shareholders are concerned. Lots of polities say things like “the first duty of any government is to protect its citizens”; rather fewer task themselves with, say, making good the victims of any crime within their territory, or a certain amount of battlecruiser diplomacy.

7. And, no, they don’t use something wacky like the US’s credit rating system. It’s more like the Japanese system in which they ask relevant questions like “do your numbers make sense (i.e., can you actually pay this)?”, “do you have a history of default?”, and “are you, fundamentally, a sophont of integrity?”

Probably not the one I’d have picked to illustrate, that, inasmuch as it’s mostly merely pointing out the superiority of utils over fuzzies insofar as the notional point of charity is to solve the damn problem, not merely to let you feel good about yourself for helping. Especially since the latter often ends up prolonging the problem indefinitely

I would rather recommend here:

Not Quite a Trope-a-Day: Blue and Orange Morality | The Associated Worlds (eldraeverse.com)

(read the section discussing mélith) and

A Question Grab-Bag | The Associated Worlds (eldraeverse.com)

(scroll down to the section discussing vices and virtues, specifically greed and charity).

1 Like

Very optimistically for the Earthicans, I’d expect somewhere between 99% and 99.999% to be eliminated, and further expect that the majority of the exceptions would likely be one or more of the following:

• (likely the largest category) not sufficiently corrupted yet on account of being very young, but also consequently incapable in terms of not actually being adult enough to consent properly, which makes them not-very-eligible in other ways
  • extremely downtrodden, and/or otherwise isolated, in ways that would make it very hard for them to even find out that the offer exists, never mind actually be capable of travelling anywhere near a spaceport
  • tied down to what they feel is their calling, such that their disappearance would cause (what they would consider) undue distress to way too many of their neighbours, until and unless they train a successor in their job and maybe not even then

You’d probably still get a few plausible applicants, likely mostly people otherwise in the third category who did manage to train a successor, and/or had their previous lifelong job become illegal (or, less likely, profoundly obsolete) under them such that they cannot continue it on Earth any more.
I cannot name any likely candidates offhand, not being sufficiently familiar with the relevant kind of street economy 
I guess the likes of that one ceviche lady.

It’s always fascinating to me when I find someone who thinks less of humans than I do in the wild

How accessible are Empire-grade pyschedesign services outside the territory of the Empire? IOW, if someone is refused entry on the grounds that their sanity is not up to snuff, how easy is it to get that corrected?

All else aside, I’d be shocked my own self not to find at least one practice located, for your convenience, in the starport extrality area.

It’s not that I think less of humans, it’s that I feel like those requirements are unrealistically high when applied to humans who just aren’t normally wired to think in those ways.
But maybe I’m misunderstanding what the requirements actually mean (I recall having commented according to a very long requirement list that I’m awkwardly not finding any more
), and/or maybe I just hadn’t met (and/or hadn’t recognized) the people who were actually close to this level.
(Overall it feels like any humans who are sufficiently egalitarian are almost always insufficiently propertarian, and vice versa, with the exceptions being mostly those who have accepted the status quo as deeply unfair but too big to challenge, which also doesn’t sound like it would qualify. But, again, I’m fairly sure I originally had some harder-to-overcome problem in mind that I can’t currently find a source on.)

In retrospect - I should have probably commented about it but forgot - I agree that there’d probably be a large (compared to other relevant categories; probably over 0.01% worldwide, much more concentrated in California) population of self-modification-nuts (of the kind that IOTL might try to connect experimental cybernetics to their brain) who’d be happy to show up to one of those psychedesign clinics to make sure their philosophy is corrected to something that the Empire finds appropriate.
(There might also be an even larger amount of people trying to fob off their small children onto the Empire to be educated there. How well would that work is a hard question; my guess is “probably not very”, but I’m not very confident on the reasons for such.)

1 Like

“(There might also be an even larger amount of people trying to fob off their small children onto the Empire to be educated there. How well would that work is a hard question; my guess is “probably not very”, but I’m not very confident on the reasons for such.)”

Probably very poorly, since Eldraic “public schools” are high school or college level, not preK-high school.

I think it’s interesting that you use the word “egalitarian” there, not least because it’s something which no-one there would think to use as a self-description of their society, but also because it’s one of those dangerous words with a wide spread of implications in English.

Which is not to say that it is entirely wrong: there are features of their society that would read to us as egalitarian: isonomy (one law even-handedly applied to all, in practice as well as in theory); a lack of both cultural differences (there is no high vs. low culture divide) and segregation by social and/or economic class (in both city layout and permissible event planning); and genuine meritic appreciation.

(Which is to say, while humans often possess a lamentable tendency to dismiss those who appear beneath them in socioeconomic status, provided you’re skilled at whatever it is you do and do it to the best of your ability, even the humblest clerk or laborer in the Empire will earn himself a nod of respect and admiration from those he passes on the street, however exalted.)

It’s just that none of those things, in their view - and nor, for that matter, does esteeming liberality, generosity, and kindness as high virtues - detract from the fact that they’re elitist to the bone and proud of it. Just ask them, and you too can receive a very lengthy lecture series on why excellence is better than mediocrity, achievement is better than sloth, knowledge is better than ignorance, virtue is better than its lack, and as a logical consequence, greed, ambition, and striving make the galaxy spin.

They love greatness, and they love people who manifest greatness, and have no problem with the rewards of it being distributed accordingly; unto those who create a lot of value, a lot of value will be given, and - by and large - look upward with admiration for achievement, downward with respect for striving, and in both directions with collegial comfort.

(The human tendency to look up and down with jealousy and scorn, respectively, strikes them as indicating something unpleasant and they’d rather not get any of it on them, thanks so much.)

Very badly indeed, since pre-university education (i.e., just about all of it up until the 15-19 age range) is taught at home (with the aid - possibly - of private tutors, and the aid - definitely - of online, AI-assisted mnemonesis-assisted simulation-space-assisted, etc., courses). There are no schools to do the educatin’. What you’d be looking at is “find someone to foster my child, please”, which is a much harder row to hoe.

That said, as seen here, for example, people like the Agalmic Education Foundation and the Technic Imperative produce copious amounts of freely downloadable educational material which is available almost everywhere in the Worlds, even - and especially - in those polities which would prefer their children didn’t receive an education quite that comprehensive. (Or quite that liberal.)

Feels like part of the problem for humans here is that it’s nontrivially hard for a human-on-Earth to manifest greatness (in noticeable ways) in the first place even if they would otherwise have it, at least if they did not already have the benefits of inherited greatness-rewards from their family.

though I guess for particularly-exceptional cases even Earth has ways of finding out, most of the time (Carl Gauss and Srinivasa Ramanujan weren’t born in particularly higher-class families), and the Empire doesn’t have the kind of absolute poverty that makes it hard in a modern-or-earlier Earth context for yer average clerk-or-laborer to actually be able to apply their non-labor-related talents.
(Imperial sophotechnology might also make it easier to discover hidden talents that the sophont in question didn’t realize they had in the first place; I do wonder what the position on that is.)

Come to think of it, one problem that on face value I’d expect to also show up in the Empire is the “know the right people” thing - i.e. that folks with pre-existing connections would have a lot more opportunities to advance. But that might be mitigated by the eldrae position on favors as very serious business such that they almost certainly wouldn’t be dispensing those to just some friends unless said friends had already done something else for them.

Side note: Imperial inplacement procedure considered as a proxy for the scaled up shopping-trolley test - i.e., to strongly select for those people who will send in their ESF cheque every year without the aid of a massive bureaucracy to extract the money from them.

if it works in this way, that’s going to be a big problem for any ADHD-or-otherwise-forgetful folks
 which would unfortunately also include a good deal of the smarter and/or more liberal humans. I’m guessing memory trouble is a fixed problem in the Empire, but I’m not entirely sure how, and I suspect the practical answer is “have their muse(s) remind them”, which might not necessarily qualify for this particular test.

[EDIT: on further thought maybe the test is “do they actually do it when just reminded, as opposed to, like, having to actually be sued or something”? It would certainly mean that memory retention problems don’t directly ruin too many otherwise good candidates, though it also means that the shopping trolley analogy isn’t that close. But it was just an analogy anyway.
I also imagine that most people with memory problems - especially for the problems closer to Alzheimer’s than ADHD, where it’s not too closely tied up with actually-nice things - would just fix them once that’s an option; the hard part might be being allowed to reach the area where it is an option, but that doesn’t necessarily have to be Imperial territory. Um, how did you phrase it, “starport extrality”, right?]

Come to think of it - I think I’ve seen it mentioned somewhere but I’m not very confident - how does the Empire deal with what we would call neurodivergence? It feels a lot like the answer could be “like, it doesn’t just happen, that’s dysgenesis”, but even if this is in fact the case, there would probably still be edge cases where it could come up.

(
wandering in from lurksville)

To the first point, the concern is not to select against the sorts of people who might forget. The concern is to select against the sorts of people who think it’s acceptable to just blow it off. Memory issues 
 well, frankly, any modern soph who tries to keep their entire brain in the inbuilt meat part is kinda weird anyway, and accepting the assistance of electronic or other aides-memoire to remember things is not only acceptable, it’s expected.

Which leads to the other point, about neurodivergence. To begin with, the Empire is polyspecific, and even members of the same species aren’t all running on stock hardware. The degree of neurodiversity in that population would put Earth’s biggest weirdo collection to shame. Additionally, they’re perfectly happy to examine, say, an ADHDer’s collection of traits and say, hey, with a bit of support here, and a tiny tweak there, you can soar on those hyperfocus and intuitive leap superpowers without also forgetting to eat or do laundry!

1 Like

I quote: provided you’re skilled at whatever it is you do and do it to the best of your ability, even the humblest clerk or laborer in the Empire will earn himself a nod of respect and admiration from those he passes on the street, however exalted

To strive, fundamentally, is what earns you respect and admiration. That doing so, in a society which doesn’t let idiot status games overpower its ability to meritocracy, usually causes one to experience a hard take-off in one’s awesome solves that manifesting problem and allows the Empire as a body to continue to feel smug about its ability to suck out the most productive and interesting parts of less enlightened polities’ populations like a cosmic libertist vampire.

(With that paragraph re greatness, what I am meaning is that, for example, no-one resents or begrudges the CEO of All Good Things, ICC his tremendous wealth, his private leisure moon, or the shintai statuette of him in the shrine of the AGT corporate kami as a literal demigod of retail logistics, because of his great achievements and value-addition to the universe. Such achievement is not expected of everyone - just that no-one envies those who outpace them. Admire, aspire, yes, but not desire to depose.)

I quote: a lack of both cultural differences (there is no high vs. low culture divide) and segregation by social and/or economic class (in both city layout and permissible event planning)

tl;dr In Imperial culture, the classes do not self-segregate, which means those connections are far more distributed than you might imagine. Just about everyone will have people from all over the metrics in their social circle, not to mention the fine tradition of xicésésef networking (which most closely approximates to the Chinese guanxixue, only without some of the unfortunate implications) which permits just about anyone to tap their extended networks.

Six Degrees of Gilea Cheraelar, anyone?

On a more general note, I think that part of the issue here (for both the discussion and for people attempting to successfully immigrate) is that one’s finding oneself in a very different social background and many core assumptions are, um, different.

Looked at from the outside, those brought up in Imperial culture look at our political, social, and economic relations and see, for the most part, a clusterfuck in which we end up in the defect-defect box of the Prisoner’s Dilemma all the time - as everyone thinks everyone else is out to get them and responds by being out to get everyone else - and a lot of the selection process is because, frankly, they don’t want to import that sort of trouble. “Betray them before they betray you” is a shit basis on which to build a civilization, and yet it is implicit in so many of our structures - despite the fact that we are, by Earth’s standards, a high-trust society.

[To use work in general as an example, anyone at any level - executive, manager, or basic employee - who tries to do the equivalent job there according to current US rules and customs will crash and burn more spectacularly than a Boeing stuffed with magnesium powder and lithium batteries.]

To succeed requires the ability to understand that the cultural core of Imperial citizen-shareholdership is understanding that things should not work that way, and that because things should not work that way, everyone has made a conscious commitment to harmonious cooperation in the great project of Being A Civilization. Defectors need not apply - and insisting on behaving as if this was a low-trust society is a species of defection - and will be shown the door.

Then none was for a party; then all were for the state;
Then the great man helped the poor, and the poor man loved the great.
Then lands were fairly portioned; then spoils were fairly sold:
The Romans were like brothers in the brave days of old.

• Horatius at the Bridge, Macaulay